Obesity and difficulty with weight loss is a common problem in the U.S. Many go on fad diets to try to accomplish their weight loss goals. This has been and will always be an unsuccessful approach. Healthy weight loss occurs when a person eats right for their gene type, exercises, and plays an pro-active role in their health.
Calories in = Calories out is a myth!
Different types of foods have different effects in different people. For example, high carbohydrate intake can create an increase in insulin secretion. Insulin is a hormone that tells the body to store fat. Therefore, some people gain weight when carbs are consumed even if the total amount of calories eaten is reasonable.
When dieting many people go on calorie restricted diets. This approach never works long term. Restricting calories leads to weight loss initially, but it can also contribute to muscle loss. Muscle burns fat, so in the long run, these diets fail because overall metabolism in these people tends to decrease with time.
The Secret Keys to Weight Loss are not Really a Secret!
- You must eat right based on your own unique genetics. This type of testing can now be performed very easily.
- You must consider the quality of the food you are eating. This includes your drinking water. Poor quality food and water are typically loaded with chemicals and/or hormone mimicking agents that contribute to weight gain.
- You must exercise! There is no way to avoid this if you want to stay healthy. Remember that it is better to perform resistance exercise than to do cardio. Resistance exercise builds muscle and muscle burns fat even when you are at rest. Cardio eats into your muscle. Do the math. If you are not familiar with Whole Body Vibration (WBV), I highly recommend you learn more about it.
- You must get adequate sleep. Lack of sleep has been linked to obesity in several research studies. The critical time to sleep is between 10 pm and 2 am. This is when your body restores and repairs.
- You must seek out balance in your life. All work and no play makes Jack and Jill very very fat! Too much stress causes excess cortisol production by the body. Excessive cortisol causes hormonal weight gain.